Friday 11 July 2014

The Day After Tomorrow

Well just watched a DVD 'The Day After Tomorrow', then looked outside and the sky is black and it's quite windy and cold and make's you think if these movies could be true one day? with global warming the way it is we should take note because even though it is a movie, who knows what we are heading for :( this winter is colder than it's been for a long time.

Anyway we had a lovely family night out, went out for dinner with the kids and invited some close friends and was alittle surprised when only one showed up, hmmm whats going on there, but it was a good night, and the trip home was a laugh then last night we had a wonderful dinner cooked for us, the yummiest Tandoori chicken roti, and tonight she is cooking us Butter Chicken, Cass who said you cant cook :) we are being spoiled, and I never knew how easy these dishes are to cook from scratch not out of a jar lol 
Well life is pretty quiet with it being winter, no one goes out much and most of us opt to watch a movie and curl up on the couch, so I don't have alot to blog about BUT I do have a great winter dish I cooked up a few nights ago for you, And as all my recipes it's quick and easy.......

PORK SLIDERS  (Will need a slow cooker for this one)

Before I jump into this recipe for you I just wanted to say this one takes abit of preparation time and you will need a slow cooker and a mortar and pastle.

Ingredients  
1-1.5kg piece of shoulder pork 
1 1/2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
2 teaspoons whole fennel seeds (I used Aniseeds)
3 teaspoons smoked paprika  (I used mild paprika as thats what I had)
3 teaspoons sea salt (again I used rock salt)
1 teaspoon each of ground cumin and all spice (or ground cinnamon)
(I used ground cinnamon in mine)
2 teaspoons ground chilli (or chilli flakes) 
2 Bay leaves 
1/2 cup red wine or stock - any type is fine ( I used 1/4 cup red wine and 1/4 cup of chicken stock) 
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tomatoes, chopped into quarters (I used a can of chopped Tomatoes drained) 
2 cloves of garlic crushed
Bag of coleslaw from the supermarket and I mixed half coleslaw dressing and half mayo
Bread Rolls, any you like but I got the crunchy mini rolls from coles.

METHOD  
1. Grind the fennel seeds and pepercorns with a mortar and pestle  (if using rock salt add in with the fennel seed and pepercorns) grind until fine almost powder like, then add other spices except for bay leaves and mix.

2. Rub the lot over the pork, rubbing well into the fatty bits, massaging it all over then put into the slow cooker insert, cover and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours (or over night for a stronger flavour) 

3. Place insert in the slow cooker and add the rest of the ingredients
Here you can see the pork after it has been in the fridge for just over 2 hours and has the rest of the ingredients added, you can see the tomatoes and crushed garlic.

Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours, I cooked mine on low for 8 hours, once cooked use two forks to pull the meat a part.

4. Make up the coleslaw and butter rolls and add some pork and coleslaw.

NOTE: once cooked I cut the fat/skin (what would have been the crackling) off then pulled the meat apart with two forks and left it in the liquid and used tongs to serve. 
Enjoy these are the best and will be doing these for our next 4WD trip I reckon :) 
Cheers Lisa.

No comments:

Post a Comment