Thursday 3 July 2014

Winter warmer - Chicken and Mushroom Risotto

Hello sorry it's been awhile but had afew friends put foot up butt :) (Thanks Sally and Em) and I'm back, yes been abit slack but hay it's winter so we all get alittle lazy and hence why I'm writting in red to feel warmer hahahahah is it working? lol 

Anyway whats been going on since I last posted? Hmmm well as you know we got our Tiny (the big girl) back and been hitting the tracks and she hasn't missed a beat :) last trip out got alittle hairy being winter now and wet muddy tracks and ofcourse the first patch of clay we hit I was driving and Tiny very gracefully slid sideways and plonked herself nicely next to the bank but not touching it, problem was, I couldn't open the door and there was a huge drop off in front of me :( so we had to get craig to winch us backwards and I have added a photo, might be hard to see but look closely you will see the straps going to a tree then up to Craigs car on the top of the hill...


Then later in the day we slid sideways again but this time to the side of the track where it drops off down the mountain :( very scary but we got her out after afew different attempts, and on other trips we have seen some great huts and history of our beautiful country, I got to tick Craig's Hut of my bucket list =D 
 So will let you know more of whats been going on later :)

Now I thought I'd add a quick winter warmer dish to cook up, we had this afew nights ago and I thought I'd make extra to have for lunch the next day, boy o boy was I wrong, it went in one go, needless to say it was a hit :)

Chicken and Mushroom Risotto 
This serves 4 so add extra for more people 

Ingredients 

400gm Chicken breast or thigh fillets, sliced..(I cut it in cubes)
100gm sliced mushrooms
1 small red onion, chopped finely
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
300gm Arborio rice
40mls Olive oil (but who measures the oil hahaha)
1 tbsp butter 
1.2 litre's vegetable stock - I use half chicken stock 
1/4 cup basil leaves torn
1/2 cup white wine - I use whatever is in the fridge but sweeter white wines work better.
80gm parmesan cheese, grated - we use a small packet
sea salt and cracked pepper - I find it doesnt need any salt but still add cracked pepper.  (I also add finely chopped chilli but up to you)

Note: I warm the stock in a smaller pot ready to use as it works better if the stock is already warmed up.

Method 

1. Heat oil in a heavy pot (I use a large saucepan) and add garlic and chilli and add the chicken, toss until cooked, try not to brown the chicken too much, remove from pan and set aside.
2. Add the butter to pot, when melted add onion and Arborio rice and cook about 2 minutes until rice is translucent and each grain is coated in butter.
3. Add the white wine and reduce by half, add the muchrooms and then add stock one ladleful at a time, until all the stock has been absorbed stirring constantly, this will take about 25 minutes.
4. Return the chicken back to the pot and stir thoroughly and ensure risotto is thick and creamy - not sticky - add torn basil leaves, parmesan cheese and the cracked pepper to taste.
Serve immediately with crunchie bread yummo :)


And please leave me a comment I'd love to hear from you :) and tell me if you have made any of my recipes? 

Till next time stay safe :) 

Cheers Lisa.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment